mystpoker.com: Out of Main Event, New Cardplayer Article, EPT Prague?

mystpoker.com



Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Out of Main Event, New Cardplayer Article, EPT Prague?

I was eliminated on Day 1 on the Main Event in WSOP Lake Tahoe. I was able to make some very nice plays to get up to $30,000 from the original $10,000 starting stack. The most interesting hand early on went like this:

With the blinds at $100/$200, mid-position makes it $700, I call on the button with 44, both blinds call. 4 players see a T62 flop with 2 diamonds. It gets checked to me, and I check behind. Turn is another T. Both blinds check, and the original raiser bets $1500. I thought, "Hmm, 77-99? Wouldn't he still lead that flop?" I make it $4000 to go, leaving myself with around $8000 behind. Both blinds fold, and he thinks and calls. As usual, I have a very loose image at the table, and he is easily capable of calling me with A high here. River is another T, making the board TTT62. He checks, and I quickly shove all-in, trying to make it look like a bluff. He insta-calls me. Oops! I say, "You must have me." He says "Not necessarily." I flip over my 44, he mucks his cards. I mean, I thought I was good when I pushed on the river, but I wasn't expecting a snap call! That boosts me up to $25,000 and a few hands later I pick off a bluff, and I'm up to $30,000.

I stay quiet for a couple of orbits, then I pick up QsJs on the button. It's folded to the cut-off who makes it $800, I call, blinds fold. Flop is TT4 with 2 spades. He leads for $1500. Now is where it gets interesting. Normally I might raise here, but this was a very straightforward player, I'm almost certain he would have checked if he had AK or AQ and missed the flop. So I pretty much know he has a pocket pair. I also know I can't push him off the hand unless I get at least another scare card out there. I just flat call the $1500. Turn is an A, now giving me a gutshot to go with my flush draw. It's also a nice scare card as I'm sure he doesn't have an Ace, and I could very likely float that flop with Ace high. He leads out for $1500. I think, then make it $4000 to go. He has around $12,000 total. I wanted to leave him with enough to fold in case he called me. He tanks forever, then calls. River is a 7. He checks, I put him all-in. He thinks for what seems like an eternity, but unfortunately he calls and flips over pocket 9's. I say "Nice call" and muck my cards. Now I guess it was the guy's first tourney or something, because he got out of his chair, slammed his hand down on the table and started talking trash! I won't get into all of the details, but basically I told him to relax since he won the damn hand. I also told him he made a great call, and he agreed, but of course hindvision is always 20/20. If you look back at the hand, I had 15 outs on the flop, and 20 outs on the turn (any Ace, King, Queen, Jack, or spade).

I was now down to $16,000. Very next orbit, I get AA in the big blind, beautiful! Everyone thinks I'm steaming. Mid-position makes it $800, button calls, I make it $3500. Original raiser calls, button folds. Now there's over $8000 in the pot, and the flop comes K92 rainbow. I lead out for $5000, he puts me all-in for my last $7500, I call, and he shows me a set of 2's. ugh. gg.

No more POY (Player Of the Year) points for me in Lake Tahoe. :( The next tournament was in Vancouver for the B.C. Poker Championships. I was leaving Lake Tahoe on Saturday, and the Main Event in Vancouver started on Thursday. Unfortunately, CardPlayer was not awarding POY points for any of the side events. Also, the main event was only a $2500 buy-in. I just said forget it, as I didn't want to waste 5 days waiting for the tournament to start, and I also missed my wife. So I came back home. I did play in a tournament last Friday though, one which I'm proud to support. I was invited to play in the "Chips for Charity" tournament in support of Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Support Programs. My wife and I both played in the friendly tournament. It was her first tournament and she made it to the final 3 or 4 tables out of around 120 players! I went out soon after, making a flush only to be bested by my opponent's full house. We had a really good time, and the organizer later notified me that they had raised over $10,000 at the event! Their next event will be on February 22nd, 2008 and I urge everyone to support this good cause! www.candlelighters.net

I have a new article in CardPlayer magazine which is titled "Mirror Image". You can read it here: http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/17104

I would have liked to recap some hands from the H.O.R.S.E. tournament, but this post is getting way too long. Maybe in the next update. My next tournament will most likely be EPT Prague, in the Czech Republic. I've never been, but I've only heard great things about it, and I can't wait to see it. It will be held from December 10th to 14th, at the Hilton Prague. If I don't go to Prague, then I will instead attend the 2007 Five Diamond World Poker Classic at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a quick question - when you miss your draw and go allin on the river (basically only option to win the pot) but once he called u on the turn did you really think he was going to fold the river ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home